So, since today's weather was just so perfect, I decided to walk the three dogs together. I have commented in the past that this has not always turned out to be a good decision but I was up for the challenge. If it worked, maybe it could become a regular thing and a nice way to give the dogs a little extra exercise.
The first few steps were clumsy, with the dogs trying to position themselves. A little pulling was finally replaced with a nice walking pace. Since Bandit is older, I figured we would just go down the street and back.
Everything was working out fine as we approached the street corner but something caught got my attention. The husky that lives at the house on the corner was slowly creeping towards us. I thought, please dogs keep your eyes forward, don't look around, if we can get to the corner instead of turning around and going back home, we will turn left and go around and through the park. The husky was getting closer, almost stalking us and so quiet. Three more steps and we would turn and be clear but then Bandit decided to turn his head to the right and that was it..he stopped and barked. Bo and Otto, turned and now I had my hands full. Luckily this husky did not cross his electric fense, he let out this little howl and that was it.. but my three dogs were straining towards him. Otto and Bandit barking and Bo jumping, not sure what to do. I stood fast, got control, turned and yanked on them to continue walking. A car stopped and a nice man got out asking if I needed any help. "No thank you, they are too excited, I can handle it", I said to him. (I just was not sure what a stranger coming up to us would register in their brains...I think Bo and Bandit would be fine, but Otto would need to protect me against a stranger and I didn't need that). "Bo, Otto, Bandit, Stop, come on, let's go," I commanded in my alpha-dog voice and we turned and walked back towards our home.
Home at last! I can reflect on this outting on the positive side.....everything worked out fine, I controlled the dogs and I got a good workout as well...or think negatively...what if....no...let's stay positive and just smile!
No comments:
Post a Comment