Monday, September 20, 2010

Never Gonna Keep Him Down

I last wrote in May about the "Story of Otto Von Bismark" when he went back home to Chicago after beating the Blastomycosis.  This is not the end of the turmol in Otto's life, no, there is more to his story.  Otto did go back home to Chicago, and he did settle back into doggy daycare.  He had gotten used to not being alone from his time in Wisconsin having Bo and Bandit as constant companions, so leaving him alone in their condo while Kyle and Leah went to work just wasn't going to work out.  Luckily doggy daycare did and Otto was back to taking long walks and experiencing life in Chicago.
A few months later, everything changed.  Blasto does have a reoccurance rate, and Otto was struck hard.  This time not only did he get extremely tired, with sore joints, he also developed lumps all over his body.  One large lump right along this throat.  Kyle and Leah called me and asked if I would like to go along with them as they take Otto back to their vet.  I went to their place and was shocked at how thin Otto looked.  He tried to come say hi to me but it was hard for him to walk.  Kyle carried him into their car and onto the vet we went. 
In the vet's waiting room, Otto's head was resting on Kyle's arm.  This was not a happy site.  The four of us went into the examination room.  The doctor did not like what she saw.  It turns out, when Otto was on the medication months earlier, and we had thought he was cured, in fact there were still spores that had survived inside him and continued to grow.  These lumps indicated a very serious stage and surviving is not guaranteed.  The doctor explained that this next round of treatment would require at least 6 months of medication.  Leah and Kyle had a decision to make, both emotionally and financially.  A transfusion, medication and hospital stay was going to really add up.  Was Otto in pain?  Was he able to eat with the lump on his throat?  Was putting him to sleep a more humane decision?  While tears filled everyones eyes suddenly something happed.  Otto, who had been lying motionless on the exam table, stood up and jumped down, went to the door and started to stratch it.  I said, "He's not ready to give up."  This brief display of determination, determination that has always been Otto's demeanor, made the decision.  Otto would come back home with me to Wisconsin.  Kyle and Leah, both partly relieved and emotionally exhausted, agreed.  Let's give him a chance. 
Everything was packed up and put in my car.  Otto was placed in the front seat, on his quilt.  He curled up and slept the whole two hour drive.  In Wisconsin, I carried him into the house and he continued to sleep.
Would he survive the next 6 months of treatment, could I get him to eat, or would he spend his last days with his two best buddies?

No comments:

Post a Comment